NEEDHAM, MA—Tripadvisor has released findings from its Seasonal Travel Index for Fall, providing travelers with insight into where Americans are traveling this fall as tourism markets continue their path to recovery during the COVID-19 pandemic. Recent Tripadvisor site data shows that globally, domestic travel for the season (Sept. 1 – Nov. 30) continues to gradually recover, with nearly two-thirds (65%) of all travelers planning domestic fall getaways. Of those travelers, 79% of them are planning a September trip.
Outdoor adventures, which have gained popularity since the beginning of the pandemic, are continuing to interest travelers this fall. In fact, 61% of U.S. travelers are more likely to consider outdoor or nature trips, and 54% are more likely to consider road trips now, compared to before the pandemic.
Fall Travel Trends
- Most popular: Key Largo, FL, is leading year-over-year (YOY) recovery in the U.S. this fall. While travel is still down YOY, the Sunshine State is home to several destinations that are recovering the quickest YOY this season based on searches for hotel bookings.
- Destination type: Domestic travelers are more keen to visit beach destinations and are less interested in central city getaways. While Florida and Arizona have always been popular destinations, there is significant YOY increase in travelers planning to visit this fall.
- Trip length: Travelers are looking for short getaways with 55% of fall travelers booking two-to-five-night stays, and 36% booking short one-night stays.
- Last-minute travel: Fall travelers are booking more near-term trips, often less than a week in advance.
- Safety first: Across the globe, safety remains critical as 68% of global travelers say safety and cleanliness of establishments are important when traveling locally.
“Among all of the disruption and restrictions this year, 76% of U.S. travelers continue to say that travel is important to them, even if they can’t experience the world like they used to,” said Christopher Hsi, consumer market research lead analyst for Tripadvisor. “The pandemic has forced travelers to be creative and explore new destinations in ways they may not have considered previously. This fall, we’re seeing a rise in destinations where travelers can relax and rejuvenate, as opposed to the busy hustle and bustle of popular cities.”
The top U.S. destinations for fall 2020, based on YOY for domestic hotel bookings, include Key Largo, FL; Key West, FL; Atlantic City, NJ; St. Pete Beach, FL; Myrtle Beach, SC; Sedona, AZ; Scottsdale, AZ; Clearwater, FL; San Diego; and Savannah, GA.
Other Travel Insights
- Domestic travelers across the globe are searching for hotel stays less expensive than last year.
While more travelers are viewing luxurious resorts and all-inclusive properties, campgrounds and farmhouses are recovering the fastest year on year.
- Traveling with your pet is an amenity with promising signs of recovery and, supporting the outdoor trend, hiking is recovering faster than any other amenities offered by hotels across the world YOY.
- While hotels make up the majority of interest due to size, bed & breakfasts have shown continuously stronger recovery YOY. Quaint, romantic and charming hotel properties over-index in the U.S.