MCLEAN, VA—Hilton has doubled down on its Canadian growth efforts with a strong pipeline of nearly 70 hotels. The expansion plans include Canopy by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton and Tru by Hilton, driven by the region’s thriving tourism industry. Providing guests with vibrant, unique experiences at different price points, the expanded footprint of Tru by Hilton and the introduction of Canopy by Hilton and Tapestry Collection by Hilton into Canada will offer travelers more options in the country, according to the company.
Canada has seen an upswing in tourism; in the first quarter of 2019, the tourism economy grew nearly 4%. In a year-on-year comparison, the country experienced an 8% increase in tourism growth, with overnight arrivals from the U.S. increasing 5% in the first five months of 2019.
Hilton has the largest hotel construction pipeline in Canada with nearly 70 hotels and 8,000 rooms, comprising 22% of the total hotel pipeline in market, according to the company. Key growth milestones anticipated during the next four years include the following:
- Tapestry Collection by Hilton: Tapestry Collection has three hotels anticipated to open in three cities—Moncton, Mississauga and Calgary. The first, Canvas Moncton, plans to open its doors before the end of the year.
- Tru by Hilton: Tru by Hilton has nearly 10 additional hotels in its pipeline that are expected to open by the end of 2021, primarily in Ontario.
- Canopy by Hilton: Hilton’s lifestyle brand is set to debut in Canada in 2022 with Canopy by Hilton Toronto – Yorkville. The property will be located at the cross-section of several neighborhoods known for high-end retail and vibrant culture.
- All Suites Brands by Hilton: Earlier this year, Hilton’s All Suites brands, Embassy Suites by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton, announced their 30th Canadian hotel opening with Homewood Suites by Hilton Ottawa Downtown.
- Full-Service and Focused-Service Brands by Hilton: Growth across full-service and focused-service categories has steadily increased in the last three years, with plans for future in-market development: DoubleTree by Hilton has 15 hotels and nearly 10 in its pipeline; Hilton Garden Inn has 25 hotels and more than five in the pipeline; and Hampton by Hilton has 58 hotels and nearly 10 in its pipeline.
Earlier this year, Tru by Hilton opened its first hotel outside the United States, Tru by Hilton Edmonton Windermere. Located in Alberta’s Southern Business District, the property is near the Edmonton International Airport and shops, food and area attractions including the West Edmonton Mall, the largest mall in North America.