NATIONAL REPORT—The industry’s eclectic membership groups are a picky bunch, and their vetting process for potential candidates is traditionally an intense process. Recently, a pair of these umbrella groups made their selections. See which properties made the cut.
Legendary Hotels Inducted into Historic Hotels of America
Historic Hotels of America has inducted 20 historic hotels into membership, with the oldest inductee dating from 1771, seven listed in the National Register of Historic Places and one designated by the U.S. Secretary of the Interior as a National Historic Landmark.
The hotels added to the National Trust for Historic Preservation Historic Hotels of America program represent independent hotels, brands and collections from across the United States. They include the following:
- Publick House Historic Inn (1771) Sturbridge, MA
- Inn at Willow Grove (1778) Orange, VA
- The Cotton Sail Hotel (1852) Savannah, GA
- The Sherman (1852) Batesville, IN
- Penn Wells Hotel (1869) Wellsboro, PA
- Antrim 1844 (1844) Taneytown, MD
- Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton (1888) Coronado, CA
- Hyatt at the Bellevue (1904) Philadelphia
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Utica (1912) Utica, NY
- The Virginian Lynchburg, Curio Collection by Hilton (1913) Lynchburg, VA
- Water’s Edge Resort and Spa (1920s) Westbrook, CT
- Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, Santa Monica (1921) Santa Monica, CA
- Hotel Skyler Syracuse, Tapestry Collection by Hilton (1922) Syracuse, NY
- Fairmont Olympic (1924) Seattle, WA; Sofitel Washington D.C. Lafayette Square (1925) Washington, DC
- The Queensbury Hotel (1926) Glens Falls, NY
- Hotel Saranac, Curio Collection by Hilton (1927) Saranac Lake, NY
- The Statler (1956) Dallas
- Alpenhof Lodge (1965) Teton Village, WY
- The Graham Georgetown (1965) Washington, DC
“Each of these legendary historic hotels has contributed to our nation’s history,” said Lawrence Horwitz, executive director, Historic Hotels of America and Historic Hotels Worldwide. “Each is unique and has a history worth exploring and experiencing… We applaud their community leaders, owners, management and associates for making these hotels excellent examples of historic preservation and for being great stewards of the stories about world leaders, celebrities and other luminaries who stayed in these hotels or were involved in the original use of these historic icons.”
Historic Hotels of America has more than 300 historic hotels that have all maintained their authenticity, sense of place and architectural integrity, according to the organization.
SLH Adds Seven Hotels
Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH) welcomed seven new hotels this month from Europe and the Americas.
Selected were the following:
- The Adelphi Hotel, Saratoga Springs, NY
- American Trade Hotel, Panama City
- Sailrock Resort, South Caicos, Turks & Caicos
- Nobu Hotel Marbella (opening March 29), Marbella, Spain
- Le Narcisse Blanc Hotel & Spa, Paris
- Hotel Aquas de Ibiza Lifestyle & Spa, Ibiza, Spain
- Villa Eden The Leading Park Retreat, Merano, Italy
Small Luxury Hotels of the World currently has more than 500 designated hotels worldwide.