DENVER—The electronic door-lock system at the 628-room Denver Tech Center Marriott malfunctioned on New Year’s Eve, preventing guests from entering their rooms.
Guests were locked out from midnight until 3 A.M. Given that it was New Year’s Eve and guests were returning to their rooms from parties at the hotel and in the nearby area, the incident attracted a lot of media coverage both local and national.
Such system failures are rare and there was no ready explanation for the cause of the incident. In a good will gesture, the hotel waived guests’ room charges for the night.
The hotel is located near Greenwood Village and features 45,000 sq. ft. of meeting and event space.