ROCKVILLE, MD—Choice Hotels International Inc.’s Ascend Hotel Collection has added five hotels in drive-to locations to its portfolio. The brand opened the doors to seven hotels in the first half of this year and added 10 to its pipeline.
“During the Great Recession, Choice grew at a faster pace than the overall industry supply through increased hotel conversions, which was especially true for Ascend. Since then, the brand has seen a 600% unit growth increase between 2010 and 2019, and continues to see consistent growth today as independent and boutique hotel owners look to Choice to improve their reservation delivery, reduce customer acquisition costs and improve their revenue management tools,” said Mark Shalala, SVP of development, upscale brands, Choice Hotels. “At the same time, Ascend outperformed the upscale segment in the first half of the year, proving its enduring staying power to both owners and guests.”
The quintet of properties joining the Ascend Hotel Collection include the following:
- The Carvi Hotel New York: Located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, this boutique hotel, recently redesigned in 2014, features contemporary design and amenities, including a rooftop terrace with 360-degree city skyline views. Guests have access to top destinations in the area, including Central Park, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall and the Museum of Modern Art.
- The Chandler at White Mountains: Located in Bethlehem, NH, this hotel is near several points of interest including Whale’s Tale Waterpark, North Country Climbing Center and the Mount Washington Cog Railway. The property is also within walking distance to various restaurants and cafes.
- The Freeport Hotel: Located in Freeport, ME, the hotel provides access to many of the area’s top attractions and businesses, including the L.L. Bean headquarters, Maine Maritime Museum, Freeport Outlets, Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum and the Portland Observatory Museum. The Freeport Main Street Historic District is also a short walk from the hotel.
- The Gin Hotel: Located in downtown Lexington, VA, the restored hotel amid the Blue Ridge Mountains was originally built in 1926 and offers mountain views from every window. It is near attractions like Haunting Tales, Virginia Horse Center and Virginia Military Institute Museum.
- The Port Inn and Cottages: Located in Port St. Joe, FL, this boutique hotel offers modern accommodations with historic charm, according to the brand. It is located in the historic downtown area, close to Port St. Joe Marina, Cape San Blas, Mexico Beach, the Port City Trail and Forest Park Par 3 Golf Course.